Seven Year old Girl Dies, Fifteen Year old Arrested

A girl seven was found in a grassy avenue yesterday in York and later died in hospital.  A fifteen-year-old girl has been arrested by police and is currently being questioned.

Last night, the deceased girl’s mother arrived at the scene, clearly emotionally distraught.  The child’s grandparents had left a note saying, “Night, night my darling Princess Katie. Love Nana and Grandad xx xx.”

Rob McCartney, 50 who lives close to where she died, saw the girl lying in the field with her mother who was shouting for help.  He said, “I came to the door to see what was happening there. The mother came running up the street shouting for help and saying “Get an ambulance”.

“I put my shoes on, went up the side of the house. I could see a young girl lying in the field, police were already attending to her.

“(The mother) was back and forth, obviously very, very distraught and someone who I think was the father turned up.

“I spoke to her later, asked if she was OK and she said “No, no, she’s my little girl”.

The child was found with fatal injuries and police have sealed off the area.  A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson confirmed they had arrested a fifteen-year-old girl in connection with the case.

In a series of Tweets, Yorkshire police forces said, “Difficult and tragic shift.  Our thoughts and sympathy are with the parents and family involved as well as colleagues who did all they could.”

“Difficult late shift for all York staff with tragic death of a seven year old. Thoughts go out to family members.”

A spokesman for the police said, “Police are investigating the death of a seven-year-old girl in York.  Police were called shortly after 4.30pm on Monday, January 9, to an address in Alness Drive, York.  Officers attended and upon visiting a scene nearby, they found a seven-year-old girl with life-threatening injuries.

“Ambulance attended and the girl was taken to York District Hospital, where she sadly died a short time later.  A 15-year-old girl has been arrested in connection with the incident. She remains in police custody for questioning.

“Officers remain at the scene while the investigation to establish the full circumstances surrounding the death of the girl continues.”

Police are questioning the 15-year-old girl in connection with the case.