A close friend of singing superstar George Michael claims that he was battling drug addiction at the time of his death, at the age of just 53, on Christmas Day.
Public Relations guru Gary Farrow said that even though he was struggling with substance abuse, George would have had at least two more great albums in him had he lived until retirement age. However, he said that having easy access to drugs was the cause of his problems, adding: “I thought George was too bright to get involved with illegal substances. But once this disease gets hold of you it’s hard to fight it.”
His comments follow those of another friend, who claimed that in the weeks before he passed away, George had been holding all-night parties at his home in north London. George’s former manager said that he had died as a result of heart failure.
However, another source said that he had previously suffered an overdose. They said that he had been rushed into casualty on a number of occasions, and that he had used heroin. George had a glittering pop career, but a troubled personal life.
He came out as gay after being caught engaging in a lewd act in public toilets in London following a police sting. He has also admitted that he smoked around 25 joints per day at one point, and he checked himself into rehab after crashing his car into a store front. At that point, he said he had become addicted to sleeping pills. He was also found smoking crack cocaine in public toilets in 2008.
Neighbours in Oxfordshire, where he died, said he had not looked well in the weeks leading up to his death. He had not been seen out in public since September, when he was photographed in a restaurant, looking noticeably overweight and fatigued.