Woman’s Headphones Explode While Sleeping On Plane

A woman sleeping on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne when she was woken by the sound of an explosion. She took her headphones off and found them sparking, catching fire and beginning to melt.

Exploding headphones:

Her face was blackened and her hands had blistered due to the explosion and fire. She told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) that she was listening to music when the explosion happened.

The fire was put out by members of the flight crew who rushed to help. They poured a bucket of water on the headphones. The headphone’s battery and plastic cover melted and stuck to the floor.

The brand of headphones wasn’t mentioned in the ATSB’s report, but it’s believed that the cause of the fire was likely due to a fault with a lithium-ion batteries.

A set of guidelines for travelling safely was published by the ATSB for batteries and power banks. It’s warning that as the range of products using batteries grows, the potential for in-flight issues increases.

The problem with lithium batteries on flights:

In recent years, there have been a number of problems with lithium batteries on flights. Last year, a plane taking off from Sydney after smoke was coming from a piece of hand luggage. They discovered that lithium batteries had caught fire in the luggage.

The ATSB said that in the US, an electronic device began emitting smoke when it was crushed under a moving seat.

Samsung’s Note 7 overheated, caught fire and melted last year due to malfunctioning batteries. International aviation authorities banned the device from planes after several such incidents also occurred on them. Samsung recalled the Note 7 and its production has been stopped.



Karen enjoys fine dining and wine, ad specializes in tech and politics.