Dina Wadia: daughter Jinnah and symbol of turbulent history of India and Pakistan

Dina Wadia, the 98-year-old daughter of the Pakistani founder, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, no longer exists.

Wadia has rarely seen or listened publicly, although it is a mysterious symbol of turbulent history of the subcontinent over the last 70 years.

Not least because he decided not to move to Pakistan, which his father built in 1947. Instead, he stayed in India and married Parsi and had two children. One of them became the 25th richest Indian and patriarch of one of the oldest and most famous textile companies in the country.

Born in the middle of the night on August 14 and 15, 1919, ironically

Jinnah asked Dina: “There are millions of Muslim children in India, is he the only one you’ve been waiting for?” Dina replied, “There were lots of Muslim girls in India, why have you got married to my mother?”

Wadia’s mother, Ruttie, or Rattanbai Petit was born in the wealthy Parsiju family. Almost immediately, when he was 18, he was kidnapped by Ruttie Jinnah of 42, took up Islam and married him to create a major scandal in the pagan society in Bombay in 1900.

Obviously, like her mother, Wadia was not very strict with religious norms. However, her marriage to Neville did not last, and she moved to London, and later to New York where she lived for the rest of her life. “I talk to my mother every day, no matter where I am … I do not think it has anything to do with the mother and child in the world that is close to us,” his son Nussi said in 2008.

But long before he died in September 1948, their relationship was exhausted. When Wadia wanted to visit Pakistan when she found out that her father was seriously ill, she refused a visa and could not go to Pakistan until she was rescued. The next time he visited the country 56 years later, 2004.

Meanwhile, in India, the government’s fight in Jinnah’s bungalow in Mumbai is considered “evacuation property” and could be taken away because her father did not name her successor. She asked for permission to stay in the house where she was young. But that never was. Wadia died in New York.